Friday, March 8, 2013

Alumni Corner: Justine Pouravelis


Justine Pouravelis, a graduate of St. Patrick’s School and McAuley High School, talked with us about how her Catholic school experiences helped build the groundwork for success.

Tell us about your background and your current job.

I grew up in Old Orchard Beach and have lived in Boston for the last 6 years.  I am currently a Senior Studio Producer at the New England Sports Network covering live Red Sox and Bruins Post-game shows. I lead NESN's production of "Red Sox Small Talk" from start to finish - serving as the liaison with the Red Sox, supervising field production of both the children's questions and the players' answers, and editing both the pregame show features and the half-hour "Best of" episodes.  I produced Bruins Stanley Cup Playoff post-game shows and oversaw the production of Frozen Fenway in 2011. I produced NESN's Hockey Easy studio coverage during the 2011-12 season, incorporating several new elements that were well-received both internally and by our external partners as well.  

What do you remember best about your experiences at St. Patrick's?

St. Patrick's was a caring and enriching school community.  I will always cherish the strong learning foundation and Catholic values instilled in me while there. I have vivid memories of going to Mass on first Fridays and participating in the reading partners program with younger students.  

Where did you go to high school and college?

I graduated from Catherine McAuley High school and will forever be a lion!!!! I was a member of the first state championship basketball team in 2002.  A graduate of Bowdoin College, I hold a bachelor's degree in Economics and French and was a former Division III All-American for the Bowdoin Polar Bears Women's basketball team. 

Do you feel your Catholic education has helped shape or influence your career success?

On a practical level, educational foundations learned at St. Patricks have stayed with me throughout college and the working world.  The grammar and math curriculums were top notch. On a spiritual level, St. Patricks and McAuley instilled in me the importance of treating every person with respect and dignity.  In the workplace, treating your coworkers with respect only leads them to do the same to you.  I have tried to incorporate the Catholic community in Boston into my job at NESN.  Working with local Catholic elementary schools while filming "Red Sox Small Talk: Where the Kids ask the Questions."

Anything else you would like to add?

My sister, Claudia and I organize a 5k road race in memory of our parents at Catherine McAuley. The 7th annual race takes place this May 18th. We are always looking for more runners from the Southern Maine area.  We are still active members of the McAuley community and will be forever grateful to the Sisters of Mercy such as Sister Edward Mary and Sister Dorothy as well as the Portland Parochial Elementary school community as a whole.